Tuesday, January 6, 2015

Knitted Socks - First Finished Project of 2015


 These are my first finished project of 2015. I started them a few days after Christmas and they didn't take me long to finish - just one week! I absolutely loved working on these socks during my time off. It was a nice and relaxing project that I didn't have to concentrate too much on and I could just sit and watch Sons of Anarchy while knitting away. 


Speckled Christmas:
Yarn: Julie Asselin's Piccolo in Elsa
Needle Size: US 1 1/2 (2.5mm) 9" circulars
Pattern Source: Nutkin by Knitzi (free pattern!)


I modified the pattern to better fit my preferences: I changed the cuff to a  k1tbl, p1 pattern and I did a heel flap for the heel instead of a short-row heel (I like the look of the heel flap and I don't like doing short rows!) and I did my normal decreases for the tow instead of the short rows as suggested in the pattern. For a complete list of changes see my Ravelry page here.

After knitting so many socks I have come to know what I like in my socks and what I don't. So whenever I am knitting a pair of socks I usually modify it to suit me. When I first started knitting I never thought I would be able to do that. The thought of changing a pattern and going at it on my own would make me anxious. I am proud of myself that I am gaining more confidence in my abilities and I am able to do what I like instead of only what is written. As a self-taught knitter, I was never able to ask anyone for help,  I would have to figure it out on my own, so starting something new was always a challenge. Looking back on my blog and the projects that I have completed, I am astounded at the progress that I have made, and I can't wait to take on even more challenges this coming year. 


I am also super excited to finally start on my Number 2 Pencil Socks. I ordered the yarn what feels like ages ago (but in reality was only a month ago), and now that I am finished all my Christmas knitting I am able to start them! I am working them toe-up so I will be able to use up every inch of beautiful yarn. I cannot wait to wear these.

No comments:

Post a Comment