After frogging my first attempt at these socks (because they were way too small my first go at them), I created a new plan of attack - I cast on an extra 10 stitches and changed the type of heel I did (I did not like the look of the afterthought heel, so I did a regular heel flap. I used yarn from the middle of the ball so I would not disrupt the stripe pattern). It worked! It fits much better this time around and I like the way it looks.
Go Habs Go:
Yarn: Biscotte & Cie's Felix Self-Striping yarn in the Go Habs Go
Needle Size: US 1 (2.25mm) 9" circular needles
Pattern Source: Knitmore Girls Vanilla Sock (used the pattern very little - but I started with it)
I made no attempt whatsoever to match the stripes for the two socks, but it just happened all on its own! The yarn has some great colour in it, but it is not stretchy at all! I needed way more stitches than I normally do to get them to fit and they are still snug. It was a generous skein of yarn though and I had more than enough yarn to finish these off.