Monday, January 2, 2012

3 Plush Cubes

I am currently in the Early Childhood Education program. During my first semester, I had to implement an activity with a two year old. I had to make the activity from scratch (no store bought games) and this is what I came up with!


I made 3 different sized boxes (small-medium-large) using the tutorial from Sew Fun for the basis of the cubes, and I added some of my own modifications. I made them out of felt, and I added the applique animals and handles to each box. I stuffed them and put shakers inside them that made different sounds: the small box has sand in the shaker, the medium box has small plastic rocks (the kind that are used to decorate), and the large box has a shaker with plastic beads in it. I made them using (new) plastic prescription bottles that had child-proof lids on them. So even if a child was somehow able to rip open a cube, they wouldn't be able to get to the potential chocking hazards inside the shakers.

The concept was that the child would be able to develop the concept of loud (plastic beads shaker) and quiet (sand shaker). I used the board book Quiet Loud to reinforce the concept. It's an amazingly cute book and was great for this activity.

This was a great project that was relatively simple to make once I figured out how I was going to do it.

No comments:

Post a Comment