Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Simplest Hats ever.


When I say simple, I mean it's so simple it's ridiculous. I wasn't even sure if I should put up the pattern or not since it is such a generic idea, but I have a tendency to forget the details on how I have knit a certain hat, and I want to be able to make these ones again.

Simplest Hats. Ever. 

Yarn: Bernat Alpaca Natural Blends in black.
Gauge: 4 sts and 5 rows=1 inch square with larger needles
Needles: size 7 (4.5mm) and size 9 (5.5mm) circular needles 16" long.
Size: Made to fit the average guy's head (easily customizable for any size!)
Directions:
CO 70 sts using smaller needles, place marker and join in the round.
Purl one row, then continue in stockinette stitch (knit every stitch of every row) until it measures 3 inches from the beginning.
Change to larger needles and continue in stockinette stitch until desired length (mine was about 9") make sure you have enough yarn left for a few more rows!
Start decrease as follows:
Round 1: *K1, K2Tog* repeat until last stitch, K1
Round 2: Knit even
Round 3: *K2tog* repeat until end of row
Round 4: Knit even
(Side note here: you might need to use DPNs when you start getting low on stitches, I was able to stretch my stitches on the circular needles enough that I didn't need them)
Cut yarn, leaving a long tail, thread tail through remaining stitches, pull tight and tie to secure. Weave in all your ends, block and Voila! You have a hat.

Told you it was simple, but I love how they come out, they are the perfect guy's hats. I have made 3 and now I'm on my 4th one. I have made them all various lengths and I plan to put them up on my Etsy shop whenever I am ready to re-open it.
If you have any questions, please put them in the comment section. Until next time. Happy Knitting!

No comments:

Post a Comment